Sunday, December 20, 2009

Dear friends, today I write with sad but hopeful news...

As many of you already know, I was diagnosed with stage three breast cancer in late September and have been undergoing intensive chemotherapy. My apologies for unanswered email about classes, the holiday family fair or your vmails to check in on how we're doing...

We're actually doing quite well. There is no history of cancer in my family, so this was an absolute shock that turned our world upside down. But my prognosis is good and already Friday marked the halfway point for the aggressive chemo regimen, which I decided to do through a clinical trial. We are praying that my MRI tomorrow will show a reduction in the tumor before I go on to the second round of chemo -- so pray with us!

How can we thank so many of you that have sent cards, meals, care packages...? It has truly left us humbled at the amount of love and well-wishes. We hope this holiday season brings you much joy and peace, and we are excited for the new year with new adventures and opportunities to create memories!

All our love-
Gaby, Steve, Evan and Alec

This photo was taken on the day I lost my hair. I'm actually getting used to the new hairdo and my 2 and 4 yr old boys swear I'm still a Mommy-princess :)

3 comments:

Lin said...

We love you and are so proud of how you are taking this day by day. XOXO Linda

James said...

see your updates on facebook and glad to know you are doing well - hang in there sweetie!

zoe said...

hi gaby - i took your photos many moons ago for the bargain mama website. i just read your newsletter dated april 6th and am ELATED at the wonderful news. i cried. your story has impacted me tremendously and am so uplifted by the wonderful news. you are an inspiration! have a wonderful, wonderful time in hawaii! cheers to you and your wonderful family and support system, zoe