Sunday, December 20, 2009

Pegasus Rising

A few weeks ago I was looking for a program where I could spend an hour a week volunteering with horses as a way to calm my mind during this challenging time as I undergo chemo. As many of you know, I have always loved horses. And even though I certainly couldn't ride during this time, even being around them would be theraputic for my soul...

Well I found the Pegasus Rising Program and as it turns out this is a herd of Arabian horses that were rescued last year and is now being rehabilitated to serve as therapy horses for U.S. veterans and others in need.

I had a chance to visit the herd a few weeks ago and it was amazing to see that despite enduring such terrible conditions before being rescued, this herd is still friendly, positive and offering their kind souls to help humans. These are wild horses in the sense that they have not been "broken" or ridden, and I admire the project's goal to keep them this way as they also train them for therapy.

One horse in particular came to me immediately and was so intense in taking in my scent and standing firmly next to me as if to let me know she understood and would help. This was Lady Avalon (above) the lead mare in the herd. As the organization's president, Gary, explained to me this horse also has cancer and seemed to innately understand that I faced the same hardship.

Please take a moment to learn more about this wonderful organization: http://pegasusrising.org/ I went to their site to "adopt" Lady Avalon and can't think of a better gift than helping to keep this herd together so that they can in turn help others in need.

I'll be sure to post more photos and info as I plan to help this organization with the same passion I brought to Habitat years ago. And as I get better I will surely take any opportunity to visit the herd again and embrace the strength and support that only a noble horse's spirit and soul can provide. (below is the herd in therapy with a veteran -- there are heroes all around us!)



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. We will adopt a horse in honor of our son who is spending the holidays in Iraq. Thank you for sharing this special program.