Monday, October 20, 2008

When Life Takes Us in a New Direction...


Last Fall while I was on maternity leave with my second baby, I experienced a difficult period of restlessness and isolation that led to more fun and inspiration than I could have imagined.

When my first son was born over three years ago, I committed to part-time work from home so that I only engaged in work activities when the baby was napping or with grandma. The time with Evan was blissful, but admittedly for a Type A personality like me, being in the house all day was a bit isolating. And I felt there was room for an additional project as long as my baby could be a part of it...

By creating
Friends With Class as a forum for unique classes I could not find elsewhere ("Photography With Your Toddler," and an affordable and not day-long CPR / Infant CPR / First Aid class), I also created an outlet for the professional drive I still had stirring within.

Unexpectedly, I also found some amazing people with whom we enjoy playdates as well as business meetings! Some of our most popular classes have been taught by moms in our playgroups. And whereas I felt somewhat isolated from the professional world, I now have a terrific network of professionals that teach our business classes.

Two classes that I want to highlight are being offered in November and are directly tied to taking steps in a new direction. Our November 1st
Career Workshop is taught by author Marcy Morrison of Careers With Wings and geared toward not just finding a new job but determining how to turn your passion into a career.

And our Nov 8th class
"A Tale of Two Websites" features how San Diego Bargain Mama founder, Stacey Ross, found success running an online business in just ine year along with the success San Diego Travel Tips founder, Julie, Gelfat, also found -- both on a shoestring budget.

I'm taking the class just to learn how the heck Stacey and Julie got their sites to rank so high on Google -- especially Julie for the keywords "San Diego travel" against sites like the SD Convention and Visitor's bureau, long-established San Diego hotesl, all sorts of SD tourism, etc.

See you there, as we all seek to chart a path onto an exciting direction :)

THE TIP: I'll post a tip from each of the classes once they take place, but for now, the best advice I can offer for anyone else who feels they are ready to take on a new career direction or even start a business is to just GET OUT THERE! You won't go anywhere sitting behind your computer.

Take the ideas and resolve that you have in your mind, put them out there and just get started. I networked with other moms that were running businesses, attended business classes and met so many interesting people that are now teaching classes me and my friends enjoy!

No comments: